Can bone broth help my dog with food poisoning this Christmas?

Can bone broth help my dog with food poisoning this Christmas?

Can bone broth help my dog with food poisoning is a question we are asked frequently at Boil and Broth. In this blog we explore food poisoning and how you can help.

Food poisoning for dogs at Christmas can be a worrying time. It can also cost you a lot of money if you need to go to the vets. Often vets charge emergency fees, and according to new research by the Money Supermarket, it could cost you up to £3500.

Over Christmas, it is reported that vets see a whopping 75% increase in emergency visits. 86% of those visits are related to food poisoning. Therefore it’s vital this year that you consider ways to prevent your dog from getting food poisoning, and if they do get mild food poisoning, then there are some ways that you can help them at home. Read on to learn more.

At Christmas time, people generally have a wider variety of foods for family and friends to enjoy. Some of these foods can be toxic to dogs, such as Christmas Pudding and mince pies. These foods are some of the worst because they contain dried fruits including currants, sultanas and raisins which can cause severe kidney failure. Chocolate is also highly toxic for dogs, and can cause serious illness.

Here are some of the foods you should be aware of when it comes to toxic poisoning at Christmas:

  • Chocolate – chocolate is toxic to dogs and even small amounts can cause serious illness.
  • Christmas pudding and mince pies – grapes and dried vine fruits, including currants, sultanas and raisins, can cause severe kidney failure if eaten.
  • Onions (and leeks, shallots and chives) – these all belong to the allium species of plant and are poisonous to dogs whether cooked or uncooked. Avoid feeding foods that include these ingredients, such as gravy.
  • Alcohol – alcohol has a similar effect in dogs as it does in their owners. Make sure your dog can’t help themselves to any unattended alcohol left lying around.
  • Macadamia nuts – macadamia nuts can cause lethargy (tiredness), weakness in the back legs, increased body temperature, tremors, and stiffness.
  • Leftovers – don’t be tempted to give your dog leftover Christmas food – they can include hidden ingredients toxic to dogs and mould in leftovers can make them ill.
  • Sweets – many of the sweets we eat over Christmas, such as candy canes, contain a sugar-free sweetener called xylitol, which is poisonous to dogs.

What should you do if you think your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t?

If you think your dog has eaten something that could be poisonous to them, then it’s best to ring you vet first to seek advice. This is very important especially if your dog has eaten chocolate, as chocolate can cause a fatal reaction, dark chocolate contains higher levels of cocoa, the chemical theobromine is highly toxic to dogs.

Some of the signs of food poisoning you should look out for are the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pain
  • Excessive Drooling
  • Fever
  • Weakness
  • Excessive Thirst
  • Tremors or seizures
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Behavourial changes such as restlessness

How to help your dog at home

There are some practical steps you can take at home if your dog has food poisoning, but first do make sure you speak to your vet for guidance.

When at home, you should fast your dog for at least 24 hours. They will need hydration so make sure there is plenty of water for them to drink. Bone broth is also amazing for dogs with food poisoning, as broth can keep your dog hydrated, and also provide vital nutrients to ensure they recover from their illness well. The proteins in the bone broth help with inflammation of the gut. Inflammation can be caused by food poisoning, as vomiting and diarrheoa, therefore allowing your dog to ingest small amounts of broth can be really helpful when treating for food poisoning. Bone broth also contains important minerals such as potassium and chloride, it is these minerals that can be lost during vomiting episodes, so another great reason for making sure you’ve got some broth in your cupboard this Christmas.

How much broth to give my dog if they have food poisoning?

It’s important to follow the feeding guidelines based on weight of your dog. We recommend rehydrating the broth and then serving the desired amount based on weight. When a dog has food poisoning, you can give them 3-4 servings of broth daily for up to 3 days. After the 3 days, reduce their broth intake back down to 1-2 servings daily.

There are some practical steps you can take to avoid your dog getting food poisoning this Christmas. Make sure that you do not leave food or drinks lying around where you dogs can reach them. Consider carefully about putting chocolates on the trees, and don’t forget to avoid feeding your dog leftover Christmas food. Dogs need to always eat a regular healthy diet of unprocessed food. And, make sure you have some of our broths in your cupboard to help keep your dogs healthy this Christmas.

Give your dog the gift of gut health this Christmas with our amazing doggy gift set!

Christmas Gift Set
Back to blog