This chicken and bacon pie recipe has been made using all natural ingredients. We also chose to have a naked roof-top for the pie. Purely personal preference of not wanting too much pastry, but if you’d like to cover the pie with a pastry top then simply double the pastry recipe of use puff pastry.
Chicken and Bacon Broth Pie
225g plain flour
100g butter cubes
2/3 tbsp of water
50g plain flour
350ml Boil and Broth chicken bone broth
350g chicken breast
1 chicken stock cube
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp herbs
- Make the pastry first by sieving the flour into a bowl.
- Add the butter cubes and then lightly mix butter and flour to make breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and knead together the mixture to make a dough. Cover in clingfilm and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter (careful not to burn), reduce the heat.
- Add the flour and with a wooden spoon cook off the butter, by constantly turning the flour into the butter. Do this for about 2 minutes. Careful not to let the mix burn.
- Slowly add the chicken broth. Constantly stir as you are adding the broth. This will help to reduce the lumps. Increase the heat slightly if needed.
- Add in the chicken stock and continue to stir. If the mix is too thick for your liking, then add more broth.
- Remove the chicken gravy mix from the heat. (Optional – heat the 10g of butter in a separate pan. Add the giblets and cook for 5 minutes. Add the giblets to the gravy mix and put back on the heat for a further 5 minutes. Then remove the giblets from the gravy).
- Finally, add the chicken breast, bacon, pepper and herbs. Continue to stir on a low heat. After 5-minutes turn off the heat and cover.
- Turn on the oven to 180 degrees. On the kitchen side, pour out a little flour on the side bench. Take the pastry from the fridge and roll out the pastry using a rolling pin.
- Using an 8-inch round baking tin, grease the tin with butter.
- Go back to the rolled-out dough and cut out around the tray leaving about an inch from the tin sides. This is important, because it will give your pie sides.
- Pick up the pastry and place it into the baking tin. Press the pastry into the sides and bottom of the tin. Prick the pastry using a knife. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the oven. Add the chicken and bacon pie mix to the pastry base. Bake in the oven for 20-minutes.
Serve with vegetables.